Bartender License

Operator's License

Any individual 18 or older who is serving or selling alcohol beverages in an establishment with a Class A, B, or C license must obtain an operator's license (commonly called a bartender’s license), unless the person is under the “immediate supervision” of one of the following:

  • The licensee
  • Someone with the privilege of an operator's license
  • A person with an operator's license
  • The approved agent of a corporation or limited liability company

Applicant must be 18 years or older, may not have been convicted of a felony or be a “habitual law offender,” and have completed a responsible beverage server training course.

Temporary Operator's License

  • Issued only to persons employed by or donating their services to nonprofit corporation
  • A person is limited to only one such license in a year
  • Is valid for any period from one to 14 days
  • Responsible beverage server course is not required

Responsible Beverage Server Course

State law requires that the applicant successfully complete an approved Responsible Beverage Server Course if the individual has not held a license or completed the course within the last two years. Proof of course completion is required. If applicant has held a license issued by another municipality within the last two years, a copy must be submitted.

The course is offered online. Visit the Wisconsin Department of Revenue website for more information.