When is City Hall open?

City Hall is open Monday - Friday, 8:00AM- 4:30PM. Except for holidays (New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, Friday before Easter 1/2 day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve Day, Christmas Day).

After hours there is a drop off box at the Madison Street entrance for utility payments.


 How do I reserve rooms at City Hall?

Call City Hall 608-723-4246 Ext 8 to reserve the Senior Center (1st Floor) or Council Chambers (3rd floor with elevator access). 

Senior Center Room Capacity: 40. Kitchen attached, 6 tables, 4 chairs to each table, 3 long foldable tables in the front of the room.

Council Chambers Room Capacity: 80 (40 on each half). 17 tables (8 tables set up for Council Meetings, 6 long foldable, 3 short foldable) and 54 chairs (14 foldable, 23 black stackable, 17 pink padded).

 How do I obtain a bartender's license?

The Operator's (Bartender's) license is a 2-year license expiring June 30.  The non-refundable fee is $30.00 and must be paid at the time of application.

The Responsible Server Course can be completed online at learn2serve.com

A record check will be completed by the Police Department.  The Police Department will approve or deny the application based on information the applicant has provided on the application.  If the record check reveals information which was not reported on your application, your application may be rejected.

State law requires that applicants complete an approved Responsible Beverage Server's course if they have neither held a license nor completed the course within the last 2 years.  Proof must be supplied before a license will be issued. 

For additional information about licensing or to obtain applications, contact the City Hall at (608)723-4246.

 Can you use ATV/UTV in the City?

Yes, all City streets are open to ATV/UTV use.

 How do I read my Water Bill?

Please click on the Sample Water Bill document below. If you have further questions, call the Municipal Billing Specialist 723-6225.

 When & where do I pay taxes?

Real Estate Taxes

1. If you pay by installment, your first payment is due by Jan 31. Pay to your county treasurer.

2. If you do not may in installments, you must pay your taxes in full by Jan 31. Pay to your county treasurer.

3. July 31- the last day for your second installment payment of real estate taxes. Pay to your county treasurer.

Personal Property

Paid in full by Jan 31 to the city treasurer.


 Where do I park during Alternate Side Parking?

The City’s alternate side parking restrictions began on November 15th and continues through March 15th. The following is the alternate side rules:
On EVEN calendar days, vehicles are to park on the south or east side of the streets. On ODD calendar days, vehicles are to park on the north or west sides of the streets. Please remember to use the date after midnight. The ordinance is in effect between the hours of midnight and 7 AM.

Example: If you park on the street at 6pm on the 23rd of January, you will need to park on the allowed side for the following day since enforcement occurs from midnight to 7am. You should be parking in the "even day" South or East side of the street.

 What services does the Grant County Health Department provide?

Call the Grant County Health Department for more information 608-723-6416.

Public Health- This service promotes prevention or early detection of disease for individuals, their families, and the community.  There is no charge for many public health services.  Included are immunizations; follow-up of communicable diseases; health counseling; screening and safety programs; school and jail health; and environmental health services. 

Health Check- This health screening program is available for anyone younger than 21 years of age who has a valid Wisconsin Medical Assistance card.  This includes assessments; screenings of vision; hearing; growth and development; urinalysis; overall dental health; fluoride varnish; blood pressure; pulse; temperature; immunizations; nutrition; physical exams; and blood tests for anemia, lead poisoning, diabetes, and cholesterol.

WIC- The Women, Infants and Children Program (WIC) provides food and nutrition information to help keep pregnant and breast-feeding women, infants, and children under five years of age healthy and strong.

Loan Closet- Wheelchairs, walkers, commodes, transfer benches, and other equipment are available for short-time use.  A small deposit is required.

Home Care- Clients receive professional care in their own home.  The goal is to restore the client to an optimum level of health.

Hospice-This service provides care for terminally ill patients and their families.

 Where can I find Aging & Disability resources?

The Aging and Disability Resource Center of Southwest Wisconsin-Grant County is available to meet a variety of needs 608-723-6113.

Elder Benefit Specialist-Specializes in assisting persons aged 60 and older to attain access to needed benefits and programs.
Disability Benefit Specialist-Specializes in assisting persons aged 18-59 to attain access to needed benefits and programs.  Can begin working with a youth aged 17 years 9 months.

Helpful Links & Hotline Numbers:
Medicare  (Open 24/7 Except Holidays) 800-633-4227          
Medigap Helpline   800-242-1060           
Part D Helpline       866-456-8211

Transportation Assistance-

  • The TRIPS Program- a service which provides rides to medical and some other important business appointments for individuals who are not on Medical Assistance (MA). Fees for this are based on the mileage incurred. To schedule a ride or learn more about the program, please contact Rita at 608-723-6113 or 1-800-514-0066. If you have Medical Assistance and need a ride to a medical appointment, an option is to contact MTM 1-866-907-1493.
  • BUS- The ADRC operates wheelchair accessible buses Monday-Friday to transport people 60+ or persons with disabilities of any age. Examples of what people use the bus for are: medical appointments, lunch at a senior dining center, shopping, visiting friends & relatives in area towns, and special events planned by the ADRC.   A small fee is charged to ride the bus. Contact Rita for more information at 608-723-6113 or 1-800-514-0066.
  • Grant County Taxi- Operates in Lancaster, Boscobel, and Fennimore. This service is offered to people of all ages and the vehicle is wheelchair accessible. A small fee is charged to use the taxi. 608-723-6451.

Dining Site- Sunrise Apts. Building F, 714 S Washington St. Manager Marla Thill 608-723-6500. Serving Monday- Friday at noon.

 Where can I obtain Vital Records?

Vital Records can be obtained through the Grant County Register of Deeds 608-723-2727.

Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Death Records and Real Estate Documents.

 What programs are offered by the Lancaster Police Department?

Programs either offered or supported by our Police Department 608-723-4188:

  • Police Pals - This is a program delivered by most of our officers in which the officers introduce themselves to grade schoolers and explaining our function as police.
  • Bike Safety - The bike safety program is delivered by Chief of Police. This is delivered in the spring prior to the end of the school year, so our children will have the safety lessons in their thoughts during the summer recess.
  • Packer Card Giveaway - The Department along with local businesses purchase and give out Packer cards every year. This has proven very popular with the youth in our community.
  • Medication Roundup -The Lancaster Police Department would appreciate all residents disposing of your unused, expired or unwanted medication, prescription and over the counter, before the April 26th Roundup date. The box is located in the lobby of the Police Department and you can drop your medication 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please drop off pills in their original containers (Hartig will shred all prescription bottles) or seal the pills in a Ziploc baggie. Accept: Prescription pills/Capsules/powder packets and liquids (please call ahead to drop off liquids 608-723-4188), over the counter medication, vitamins, patches, ointments. Do Not Accept: Thermometers, inhalers, needles, auto injectors, aerosol cans, hydrogen peroxide. Thank you for keeping Lancaster safe!
  • Unused Ammo Collection - Do you have unused ammo around the house not sure how to dispose of it? We can help. We are now accepting ammo under 50 caliber. We will bring it to the Wisconsin Crime Lab who will dispose of it. The Wisconsin Crime lab will not take ammo over 50 caliber or specialty ammo (including exploding, trace rounds.) The reason is because the specialty ammo will damage the machine that dispose of the ammo. They will not accept black powder either. If you have any ammo you want to dispose of, please make contact with one of our officers.
  • Cages for Rent - If you ever find yourself dealing with an unwanted animal in your yard we have cages you can borrow. The cages are free to borrow, we just ask that you return the cage back to us in the condition you received it. If the cage gets damaged we ask you replace the cage. We also ask you do not keep it for more than one month. If you catch anything, you will need to find your own way to get rid of the animal. A suggestion would be to release the animal at the city landfill on Cty K.
  • Free gun locks - Gun locks are available, no charge, at the police department.
  • Security Checks - Are you leaving for vacation? Do you want someone to keep an extra eye on your house? If so call or stop in and fill out a Security Check form. While the officers are on patrol they will make sure to drive by and check your house.

  • Fingerprinting - Do you need to get Fingerprinting for your new job, conceal carry permit, to be a foster parents, etc? If so, our office does do fingerprinting free of charge. Since we are offering this free of charge, we ask you work around our schedule. Please call to verify an officer is available to do the fingerprinting. You will need to bring your own fingerprint cards. Please have your cards filled out prior to your arrival. Also ask you bring a drivers license so we can verify you are who you say you are.

  • Parking Ticket Box - Do you have a parking ticket to pay?  We offer a parking ticket drop box right outside the police department. This allows you to pay your ticket anytime. We recommend turning in your yellow parking ticket/mailed notice with the payment. Please try to paperclip or put the payment in an envelope before dropping it in the box. The box is emptied daily. Fees:  $10, if not paid within seven (7) days of issuance of the parking ticket, the fee increases to $20.00.

 How do I find City Codes?

The City of Lancaster provides an online, searchable City of Lancaster Code resource for its residents.

 How do I report a street light that is not working properly?

If you a street light in their area that is out or flickers, etc., you can report it to Alliant Energy directly by calling 342-4107 or online through their website.

 Where can I dispose of an old US flag?

Old flags may be discarded for proper disposal at City Hall, the mailbox on the second floor.

 When is garbage and recycling pickup?

Town & Country Sanitation is contracted through the City.

Town & Country Sanitation makes every effort to offer uninterrupted service. In the event of a holiday or extreme weather check back for updates. Residential collection may be delayed due to the following holidays:

  • 4th OF JULY

If the holiday falls on a Monday-Friday, collection will be delayed ONE DAY following the holiday. If the holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday, collection will not be affected.


You may also call a local Customer Service Representative with any additional questions at 608.375.5856 or toll free 800.626.1915.


 When is curbside leaf pick-up?

Beginning October, residents may rake leaves into the curb line of the street. Please do not place leaves in the curb line at any other time; rather, compost leaves on site or dispose of them without charge at the City Compost Site. 

      • When raking leaves into the street, please place them into shallow/small piles along the curb line, one foot away from the curb if possible.  (Leaves in the terrace area will not be picked up.)

      • Please do not mix branches, limbs or brush with the leaves, for they clog the street sweeper.

      • If you wish to get rid of the leaves in a more timely manner, you may take them to the City Compost Site.

 Where can I drop off unused medication?

A Safe Drug Drop Box for leftover medications is located in the City Hall by the Police Department. The Police Department is located at 222 South Madison Street.


 Where do I apply for a dog license?

All City of Lancaster residents owning a dog that is older than 6 months can purchase a license at Lancaster City Hall in January.  After January 31st see the County Clerk's office.   Annual License Fee:

      • Un-neutered/un-spayed dog:  $8.00

      • Neutered/spayed dog:  $3.00

 Where do I vote and what are the voting hours?

The Senior Center at City Hall serves as our polling place. Voting hours are 7:00 AM- 8:00 PM.

 Where is the City Compost Site and what can I drop off?

The Compost Site is conveniently available to all City Residents.  It is located off South Madison Street, west between Classic Cuts Salon and LV Labs on Lilac Street.

Yard waste may be disposed of at the City compost site daily.  Yard waste includes all materials originating in the yard and garden, which are capable of natural decomposition, including leaves, grass clippings, and other vegetation.

Please do not leave boxes and bags at the compost site.  These materials will not readily decompose.